Monday, May 17, 2010

You Pretty Face Is Going To Hell, ETC...

Most Manson fans found it quite amusing and sort of trendy this leather jacket with the legend "HELL, ETC." which he has taken as some sort of new mantra, also using to name his most recent art show in Athens, Greece.


However this is not the first time someone has had this idea. HIM's frontman Ville Vallo came up with this design in a video named "In Joy and Sorrow" from the album "Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights". However the original phrase was "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell".


THE POSSIBLE ORIGIN

The title makes reference to a song from Iggy and the Stooges, "Raw Power" which came out in 1973. The song had an alternate name which was "Hard To Beat". "Raw Power" is listed among the top 500 greatest albums of all time according to Rolling Stone.


Another cool thing is that the title of the song was used for a book by Dave Thompson named "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell: The Dangerous Glitter of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed" which can be found online

A review of the book:

When Lou Reed and Iggy Pop first met David Bowie in the fall of 1971, Bowie was just another English musician passing through New York City. Lou was still recovering from the collapse of the Velvet Underground, and Iggy had already been branded a loser... Yet within two years they completely changed the face of popular music with a decadent glamour and street-level vibe. With Bowie producing, Reed's Transformer album was a worldwide hit, spinning off the sleazy street anthem “Walk on the Wild Side.” Iggy's Raw Power, mixed by Bowie, provided the mean-spirited, high-octane blueprint for Punk. Bowie boosted elements from both Iggy and Reed to create his gender-bending rock idol Ziggy Stardust.

Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell is the story of this friendship and the incredible productivity and debauchery that emerged from it. Presented here for the very first time are their stories interwoven in a triple helix of sexuality, glam rock, and drugs – as seen through the eyes of the people who made it happen.

(source: Wikipedia, Backbeat Books)

Below the lyrics to the song:

"Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell"
(written by the Stooges)

Awwright! Woooohhhh!

A pretty face and a dirty love
knew right away that I had to get my hooks in you
yeah yeah yeah
I'm running low on memories
If you wanna make a buck boy, you gotta be a tease, uhuh
I say yeah yeah

I need it all, baby, that's no lie
I need a lover with an alibi
I wanna fall into a love so sweet
Honey baby baby I'm hard to beat

A pound of flesh and a touch of bone
Smells in the air and I'm feeling so alone, uhuh
I say yeah yeah
Hallucination true romance
I needed love but I only got a chance, uhuh
That ain't all

I'll tell ya honey it's a crying shame
All the pretty girls they look the same
I wanna fall into a love so sweet
Honey baby baby I'm hard to beat

Wooooh hey hey
Your pretty face is going to hell
Your pretty face is going to hell
Honey honey I can tell
Your pretty face is going to HELL!!!!
HELL!!!

A pretty face and a dirty love
knew right away that I had to get my hooks in you
I say yeah yeah
I'm running low on my memories
If you wanna make a buck, boy, you gotta be a tease,
uhuh and that ain't all
I say yeah yeah

I need it all, baby, that's no lie
I need a lover with an alibi
I wanna fall into a love so sweet
Honey baby baby I'm hard to beat

Woooh yeah hey
Your pretty face is going to hell....

Since Manson has declared several times of being an Iggy Pop admirer as well as Ville Valo, the question is who copied who? You be the judge...

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment